Carina JRL Raises over $10,000 for the Daniel Morcombe Foundation
A sea of red appeared throughout Brisbane last Saturday as Carina Junior Rugby League held a Day for Daniel. The day was designed to involve people within the community to raise awareness of child safety and raise much needed funds for the Daniel Morcombe Foundation.
The day began at 8.00am with the annual Walk for Daniel with approx 200 people rolling out of bed early to take part. Junior fixtures followed with all Carina teams securing wins wearing specially designed red jerseys.
U13 Division 3 – Carina (28) defeated Beenleigh (22)
U13 Premier – Carina (48) defeated Rochedale (4)
U20 – Carina (36) defeated Brothers (30)
Open Premiers – Carina (32) defeated Gators (38)
Women – Carina (18) defeated Browns Plains (62)
The highlight of the day was the arrival of Bruce and Denise Morcombe. Carina JRLFC and the Brisbane Broncos presented the Morcombe family with a signed Carina red jersey by the NRMA Insurance Brisbane Broncos. This was followed by a minutes silence to honour the memory of Daniel, the national anthem, and the release of red balloons.
All children and players who attended the event where kept very busy with a range of exciting ARL Development activities. Activities included:
- Rugby League Reads Reading Tent – where children read a variety of Rugby League magazines and story books.
- My Dream NRL Team Tent – where children designed their fantasy Rugby League team jersey, player list and coloured in Buck, the Brisbane Broncos mascot.
- NRL’s One Community Educational Programs – where children watched ‘Eat Well, Play Well, Stay Well’, and ‘Dream, Believe, Achieve’ from the QRL Interactive Truck.
- Rugby League skills games and activities
- NRL One Community Ambassador Luke Covell
The day proved to be an enormous success with over $10,000 raised through donations, auctions and Daniel Morcombe Foundation merchandise. The jersey actions were the highlight of the evening with $9162 raised. Special mention goes to Grant Seeley who purchased a jersey for $700.
The day would not have been as successful without the strong community support received from:
- ARL Development
- Brisbane Broncos
- Footy Daze
- Asthma Foundation
- Queensland Police Service
- Smoke Alarms Brisbane
- Carina JRLFC Teams – U6, U7, U8, U11, U13, U14, Opens and Women’s
- 4ZZZ, 4BC, and 96.5FM
- Carina Leagues Club
- Carina Rugby League Old Boys Association
- Carina JRLFC staff and volunteers
- Brisbane Referee Association
ARL Development would like to thank Carina JRLFC for allowing us to be part of such an important and wonderful event. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and look forward to be involved again in the future.
More photos can be found at http://www.sportingpulse.com/gallery.cgi?g=48515&e=2984&et=1&c=7-2984-0-0-0