2013 SBL Fixtures Released
The State Basketball League is pleased to release the fixtures for 2013, a milestone year for the league as it celebrates 25 years.
The season will commence on the weekend of March 15-17 with nine games scheduled, including a rematch of the 2012 Men’s Grand Final with the Cockburn Cougars hosting the East Perth Eagles, while the Women’s Champions, South West Slammers, will have a bye.
After bringing in an additional round in 2012 to lighten the travel load of regional teams and assist with logistics, the 20 round season will continue in 2013 with the regular season concluding on the weekend of July 26-27.
The Finals will run from the weekend of August 2-3 through to the Grand Finals on Friday 30 August (Women) and Saturday 31 August (Men) at the WA Basketball Centre.
The 2013 season will feature plenty of highlights, along with some new initiatives to support continued growth of the league on and off the floor:
- Seven games will be held over the Easter weekend with games on Thursday 28 March and Saturday 30 March. One highlight will be traditional rivals the Buccaneers & Giants facing off in Geraldton (the return match in Goldfields will be on Saturday 15 June).
- The Lakeside Lightning will host three games in a more “family friendly” time, away from traditional SBL evening games. The three games are:
- The Lightning will host the Perth Redbacks on Sunday 7 April in a mid-afternoon timeslot with the WSBL starting at 1:30pm and the MSBL at 3:30pm.
- On ANZAC day (Thursday 25 April) the Lightning will host the Eagles with the WSBL tipping off at 12:00pm and the MSBL at 2:00pm.
- On Saturday 29 June the Lightning will play the Perry Lakes Hawks in a new afternoon time of 12:00pm for WSBL and 2:00pm for MSBL.
- On the WA Day long weekend the Perry Lakes Hawks and Perth Redbacks will co-host the Geraldton Buccaneers and Goldfields Giants respectively in a “country double-header” at the WA Basketball Centre on Sunday 2 June. The Hawks will also host the Redbacks in the junior Western Australian Basketball League competition on the same day.
Other highlights include the Women’s Grand Final rematches (South West Slammers and Rockingham Flames) on Saturday 27 April in Eaton and on Friday 19 July in Rockingham. In addition to the week one clash between the Men’s Grand Finalists, their return clash will be on Saturday 25 May at Morley Sport & Recreation Centre.
Additional announcements will be made in relation to the league’s 25th season celebrations throughout the year with many exciting initiatives planned.
The full 2013 fixtures in both a week-by-week format and a club-by-club format and are available for download below.