NEWSLETTER - December 2012
As 2012 draws to a close it is time to say a big and sincere thank you to our dedicated and valued volunteers of our Association. The Board of Basketball Mount Gambier deeply appreciates these efforts and commitment as it acknowledges Basketball Mount Gambier is one of the few remaining local sporting organisations which relies so heavily on volunteer help. Everyone can be proud of the professional level at which the Association operates, the whole-hearted commitment to our many programs and the dedication of our coaches, officials and club administrators.
There is a feeling of satisfaction, positivity and togetherness as the Association enjoys the successes and achievements of 2012.
Reflecting on Year 2012, there are many highlights including:-
- A large contingent of our talented Junior Lakers represented SA Country at the Australian Country Junior Basketball Cup in Albury in January 2012. Highlight of the week was that of the two SA Country Under 14 Girls teams played off for the title, the Jim Matthews Memorial Cup. Mount Gambier’s Junior Development Officer Trevor Semmens coached the winning team while Brenna McKay and Tenille Gray played in the teams.
Mount Gambier’s Ebony McDiarmid had an outstanding week in the SAC U17 team at the Pacific Slam.
- The Senior Lakers teams won dual South West Conference and State Titles in the Country Victoria Basketball League. The support of the sporting public of Mount Gambier and the basketball community given to these events deserve special mention.
- The achievements of the Junior Lakers Teams in the SA Country Basketball Junior Championships resulted in Basketball Mount Gambier winning the John Spooner Award for the third consecutive year. This award goes to the Association with the most Division 1 minor round wins at the Country Championships. Our dedicated coaches, managers, parents and most importantly our players are congratulated on these successes.
- April and July. Mount Gambier had strong representation in the 2012 SA Country Junior State teams.
Under 18 – Matt Parslow, Matt Markiewicz, Jackson Trappett, Kane deWit, Samantha Loughhead, Georgia Green and Brianna Walters.
Under 16 - Sam Stafford, Stephen Sochacki, Brad Rathjen and Rachael Hines.
As a result of Sam Stafford’s consistently outstanding performances during the Under 16 Nationals, he was invited to attend the Australian Junior Development Camp at the AIS in Canberra at the end of September. He continued to impress at the Camp and has received an invitation to attend the Australian Junior Development Camp in January 2013, as part of the selection process for the Australian team for the 2014 Junior World Championships.
- Basketball Mount Gambier has built a reputation of extending blue ribbon hospitality to visitors to the IceHouse. The volunteer assistance in the Bar and Canteen on Pioneer’s and CBL home game nights and the catering efforts for the annual SA Country Southern Camp are examples of the outstanding service our members provide.
- City of Mount Gambier Junior Basketball Tournament – major fundraiser of Association. The 2012 event has been described as the best regional tournament in the State by Jason Bald, SA Country Basketball Development/High Performance Manager. Two factors underpinning this success were the magnificent volunteer efforts of the families of Basketball Mount Gambier and the overall high standards of competitions played involving some 102 teams in 21 divisions of the four age groups, Under 12, 14, 16 and 18 Boys and Girls.
The support of the City of Mount Gambier and local business houses also played a pivotal role in this success, enabling the event to offer blue ribbon hospitality to the thousands of visitors to the city.
The achievements of the Junior Lakers Teams added to the success of the weekend. Lakers won all four of the Girl’s Division 1 competitions, the Under 16 Boys Division 1 & 2 and Under 14 Girls Division 3 title.
- Talented Junior Lakers are strongly represented in the SA Country squads to compete in the Australian Country Junior Basketball Cup in Albury, the Southern Cross Challenge in Ballarat and the Eltham/Dandenong Junior Tournament in January 2013. Twenty one Junior Lakers will strut their stuff at these events.
- The Board of Basketball Mount Gambier continues to work towards maintaining our facility in an appealing and healthy state –“consumer friendly”. One of our aims is to have it at a standard which will attract high profile events thus requiring regular maintenance and improvement programs.
Major Works Programs which are completed/nearing completion/in progress include:-
Stage 1 Canteen Kitchen
Stage 2 Canteen Complex and new Viewing area
Stage 3 Upgrade of Toilet facilities to be compliant with legislation.
(City of Mount Gambier Grants have made the above possible.)
Court 1 – Floor replacement and seating upgrade – Basketball Mount Gambier received a Grant from the Office of Recreation & Sport ($100,000) to make Court 1 a truly “Showcase” Court, compliant with SEABL, NBL National Netball requirements.
The Board asks members to be patient and tolerant during these upgrades. Volunteer help is appreciated too – speak to Ray deWit or a Board Member.
In Late June 2012 Basketball Mount Gambier presented a submission to the City of Mount Gambier for Court 4. This submission evolved from the steady increase in numbers of players, both senior and juniors over the past three years.
On the domestic scene, the profile of local Summer Season basketball was lifted by the preparation and presentation of Most Valuable Player Counts and Special Awards, including recognition of current players who have played more than 500 games in senior competitions.
Life Memberships were awarded to Sonya Knight and Robert Tremelling at the 2012 AGM.
In conclusion the Board thanks everyone involved in our operation and competitions in 2012. You are the heart and soul of our Association.
December 17th is the last night of competition for 2012. Competition resume on Tuesday January 28th 2013.
Best Wishes to all for a Merry Christmas and well deserved holiday break.
Basketball Mount Gambier Inc.