The Mitcham Junior Football Club is an accredited level three Good Sports Program member and is dedicated to developing well rounded young Australians through a football environment which teaches respect, humility, integrity, reward through effort and fair play at all times. We are also committed to giving our children the best advice and information and as we begin our preseason it’s a timely reminder of the importance of being well-fuelled and hydrated before training
A couple of basic points for our players and parents.
- Always stay hydrated before, during & after training sessions – Water is the best and a small amount of electrolyte based sports drink is good.
- Sun protection and heat - Apply sunblock, wear a hat and cool loose clothing.
- Fuel up in advance of training - Carb up on Saturday night - Pasta, vegetables and other LOW GI foods.
- A light breakfast or snack on Sunday morning - no later than 8.15am (45 mins before training) Fruit, cereal, peanut butter toast, small glass of low fat milk.
- Wear good footwear, running shoes that fit and good socks
- Apply band aids in advance to your feet to avoid blisters
- Warm-up and stretch prior to training
- Stay Hydrated - continue to drink water during training
- Trim you finger nails & toe nails - don’t want any injuries.
- No jewellery to be worn - earrings, chains, rings etc.
- Replenish your glycogen levels after training with some fruit, sports drinks
- Eat well after training - Protein intake is most important for recovery and growth - Protein shakes / drinks, fish, chicken, steak, eggs.
- Get plenty of sleep - Minimum 9-10 hours - This is when you grow and muscles recover.
- MOST importantly have Fun, work hard - Remember you play as you train and you are what you eat ENJOY SEASON 2013
If in doubt as to the appropriate foods or fluids to consume before training / games and you’re looking for more information check out the AIS website @ www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/competition_and_training2/eating_before_exercise
Last Modified on 03/02/2013 22:46