Rams suffer second big loss in a row
26 Jun, 2012 04:00 AM
DUBBO Rams coach Mark ‘Bomber’ Forrester has a week to help his side regain some confidence after they suffered their second heavy defeat in a row to Bathurst on Saturday.
The Rams were beaten 85-33 by the Goldminers who, in the process, maintained their unbeaten run in 2012.
Bathurst had four players reach double figures in the scoring department - those being Teagan Burke (25), Hayley Lepaio (22), Olivia Patterson (18) and Hannah Lepaio (17).
Melissa Lee was the only player in double figures for Dubbo with 13.
Coming up this week is a trip to Queanbeyan to face the third-placed Yowies and this match will play a significant role in determining whether the Dubbo side, last year’s Waratah League runners-up, can make this year’s finals series.
Against Bathurst the Rams were again slow starters and trailed 16-4 at quarter-time and 36-12 at the main break.
A 24-6 third term put the match completely out of Dubbo’s reach before they rallied to lose the final quarter by just 10 points.
As was the case against Wagga the previous week, shooting was once again the Rams main problem, with the girls firing off plenty of attempts but the ball just failing to drop.
Dubbo Basketball Association vice-president Peter Hargreaves said the girls will need to rally this week ahead of the trip to Queanbeyan.
“It was a disappointing result from the girls and they are well down on confidence,” Hargreaves said.
“It might seem a bit strange with Bathurst piling on 84 points but if it wasn’t for the girls attitude in defence Bathurst could have scored another 84 points.
“Leading the way was Kimberley Forrester who played her heart out for the full game.
“This weekend we travel to Queanbeyan so really our season will start this weekend.
“We played Queanbeyan three weeks ago and came away with a strong win so the girls need to recapture that form to mount a challenge for a place in the top three.”