Solomon Islands Rugby League Constitution
CONSTITUTION OF SOLOMON ISLANDS RUGBY LEAGUE.
SECTION 1. NAME.
The league shall be known as the Solomon Islands Rugby League (hereafter called the “SIRL”)
SECTION 2. OBJECT
- To promote, develop and foster the game of Rugby League through out the country.
- To maintain a close liaison with other Rugby League Associations within and outside the country
- To provide the opportunity to young Solomon Islanders to display their skills and talents in the game of Rugby League
- To make Rugby League the number one sport in the country
- To play in regional and international competitions
- To export players to play with overseas clubs
- To provide the opportunity for women to enjoy the game through Rugby Touch
- To promote the objects of Solomon Islands Rugby League.
SECTION 3. JURISDICTION
All affiliates and members of league shall be subject to the jurisdiction of SIRL
SECTION 4. AFFILIATION
4.1. The following shall be affiliated to SIRL;
(b) Member bodies
4.2. The criteria for membership as referred to under section 4 (1) (b) shall be determined by a By-Law duly passed.
SECTION 5. ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS
5.1 These shall be the following who will form the Executive of the SIRL;
3. Executive Secretary
5. 3 Ordinary members
5.2. All Office Bearers shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting of the SIRL
5.3. Nominees for All the Executive positions shall be open to interested citizens of Solomon Islands
SECTION 6. VACANCIES IN OFFICE
Should a vacancy occur in the elected Official position, the Executive may appoint a person to act in the position until such a time as a “Special General Meeting” is called to elect a person to the position.
SECTION 7. PATRON
- The Patron of SIRL shall be appointed by the Executive Committee in SGM.
- The appointed Patron has to be a Solomon Islands national
- The Patron of SIRL can hold office for 4 years.
- The terms and conditions will be determined by the Executive.
SECTION 8. TERM IN OFFICE
- All Office Bearers and Executive members shall hold their positions for a term of 4 years, unless removed as either wholly or individually;
(a) By a vote of no-confidence.
(b) By resignation or death.
SECTION 9. MEETINGS
9.1 The meetings of SIRL shall be;
- Annual General Meeting
- Special General Meeting
- Executive Meetings
- General Meetings
9.2. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETINGS
- The AGM shall be held within 1 month of the completion of the finals of the Honiara Rugby League competition
- The following Reports must be presented;
(a) Chairman’s report
(b) Financial report
(c) Committees report
(d) Auditor’s report
- AOB’s have to be presented on the agenda of the meeting no less than 30 days prior to the meeting
9.3. SPECIAL GENERAL MEETINGS
- The Executive Secretary shall, at the request of the Executive Committee or at the written and signed request of at least 3 or more affiliates call a SGM.
- Any request so made, shall state the objectives of the proposed meeting and only such business as specified in the request shall be discussed at the meeting
- There shall be the present at the SGM convened, the Executive of the SIRL and 1 representative from each affiliated body or member
9.4. GENERAL MEETINGS
The Executive and Affiliates shall have at least 3 meetings between AGM
SECTION 10. NOTICE OF MEETINGS
- At least 30 days notice of an AGM shall be given in writing and such notice shall state the place and time of the meeting and the business to be discussed.
- At least 7 days notice of any SGM shall be given in writing and such notice shall state the place and time of the meeting and the business to be discussed.
- At least 14 days notice of any General Meeting shall be given in writing and such notice shall state the place and time of the meeting and the business to be discussed.
- At least 7 days of the notice of any Executive meetings shall be given in writing and such notice shall state the place and time of meetings and the business to be discussed.
- The above notices in relation to the meetings shall be known to all affiliates in every way and means possible.
SECTION 11. QUORUM
At all meetings of SIRL, 50% plus one of those eligible to be in attendance shall constitute a quorum.
Except for SGM, the following shall apply at all meetings;
- In the event of a quorum not being present at the appointed meeting place, 1 hour is given after the specified time.
- As a result of a meeting lapsing, the meeting shall be recalled at the same time and at the same place, and in the event of the quorum not present, half an hour is given after the specified time to constitute the quorum
- At any SGM if for any reason a quorum is not formed 1 hour after the specified time, those present shall constitute a quorum.
SECTION 12. VOTING
- At all meetings, all members of the Executive shall have 1 vote each with the Chairman having a casting vote in addition to his primary vote, should it be necessary.
- There shall be no votes “by proxy”
- The Executive shall not have greater than 50% of the voting strength of any meeting, with exception of the Executive Meetings.
- Clubs and Member bodies shall have 1 vote each.
SECTION 13. COMMITTEES
- Except as otherwise provided for the provisions of this constitution, the following shall be permanent committees;
- Selection Panel
- International games
- A By-Law shall be passed to determine the terms and purposes of the above committees
- Any other committees deemed necessary by the Executive and Affiliates of the SIRL may be constituted by the passing of a By-Law which shall state its purpose and terms.
SECTION 14. BY-LAWS
- The Executive Committee and Affiliates shall have the power to make By-Laws.
- A By-Law shall be expressed to be a By-Law.
- A By-Law shall be altered or repealed by another By-Law or by an alteration or amendment to the constitution
- A By-Law must be inconsistence with the provision of the constitution
SECTION 15. STANDING ORDERS
The standing orders shall be those as adopted by the SIRL with necessary amendments.
SECTION 16. FINANCE AND CONTROL
The Executive and Affiliates shall pass By-Laws for the amendments of finance related matters. The By-Laws shall provide for the following;
- The imposition of levies or affiliation fees.
- Banking of monies.
- Distribution of profits.
- Auditing of accounts.
- Any other matters deemed necessary and related to finance control.
SECTION 17. MISCONDUCT
1.The SIRL shall have the power to direct the Judiciary Committee to deal with any complaint made to it by 1 of its Affiliates or members provided such complaints of misconduct is detrimental to the objects and or welfare of the SIRL.
2. In the event that the charge of misconduct is confirmed, the SIRL may either suspend, disqualify, fine or impose any punishment by combining all the above as it thinks fit upon the charge party.
SECTION 18. LIFE MEMBERSHIP
1. A By-Law shall be passed by the Executive and the Affiliates to determine the criteria for appointing a person to be a life member
2. Notification of nominations for life memberships of SIRL shall be made no less than 60 days prior to the AGM at which such nominations shall be voted upon.
SECTION 19. MOTIONS OF NO-CONFIDENCE.
A motion of no-confidence shall be expressed to be a motion of no-confidence in;
- The Executive as a whole
- The Office Bearers individually
- The members or member of a permanent or any other committee duly constituted under the provisions of the constitution
SECTION 20. CO-OPTION
The Executive shall have the power to co-opt persons to hold positions in the Executive, permanent committees or any other committee deems necessary in the event that;
- There are no nominations for the positions in the Executive or permanent committees or committees
- Vacancies exist as the result of resignation, deaths, suspensions or any other happenings
- Other persons to fill in important positions in sales and marketing, technical areas and public relations to help attain object of SIRL
SECTION 21. TRANSITIONAL PERIOD
- The following shall be adopted by the SIRL at the date the constitution comes into effect;
- The standing orders
- All By-Laws, motions, resolutions, decisions and all matters passed by the governing body prior to the establishment of the SIRL
- Any other matters considered to be matters that are related to the governing, controlling and fostering of Rugby League.
SECTION 22. HONIARA RUGBY LEAGUE AND OTHER ASSOCIATIONS
- The Executive of SIRL has the absolute authority to intervene where necessary to suspend or terminate the Executives of HRL or any other affiliated Associations in the event of mismanagement
- The SIRL to call upon an internal investigation of the matter or hand over the case to the Board of Directors
SECTION 23. THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- The Executive committee of SIRL to appoint 4 Directors to hold office for 4 years.
- The BOD deals with referred matters by SIRL Executive for further deliverance.
- The BOD are the custodians of any property of SIRL
- The terms and references of the BOD to be determined by the Executive
SECTION 24. AMENDMENTS AND ALTERATIONS
- This constitution may be altered or amended at any AGM
- Proposed amendments and alterations shall be in writing and forwarded to the Executive Secretary 6 weeks before the date of the AGM
- The Executive Secretary shall circulate the proposed amendments and or alterations to all Affiliates and members of SIRL
- The proposed amendments and or alterations shall have been duly passed if a 2/3 majority has voted in favor of such amendments and/ or alterations.
SECTION 25. ADOPTION OF THE CONSTITUTION
This constitution has been adopted in an Executive meeting at CYP hall on 22nd February, 1999.
SOLOMON ISLANDS RUGBY LEAGUE
TABLE OF CONTENTS
CONTENTS PAGE NO.
Election of Office Bearers 1
Vacancies in Office 2
Term in office 2
Annual General Meetings 2
Special General Meetings 3
General Meetings 3
Notice of Meetings 3
Standing Orders 4
Finance and control 5
Life Membership 5
Motion of No-Confidence 5
Transitional period 6
Honiara Rugby League and other Associations 6
Board of Directors 6
Amendments and alterations 6
Adoption of the constitution 6