The AFL Kids First is a program for leagues and associations to guide parents so that both they and their children obtain the maximum benefit and enjoyment from their participation in junior football.
Today’s parents have an important role in the delivery and support of sporting activities for their own and other children. With it comes a clear responsibility to act in a constructive and encouraging manner at all times.
Barracking and wanting your child to perform well is human nature, but it's critical this should be done in a responsible manner avoiding the ugly parent syndrome at all times.
The basic principles of AFL Kids First are to remind parents that:
- Sport for children is a vital part of their growing up
- Children like to win, but more importantly, they want to have fun
- Parents need to set the right example at the sports ground, not just at home
- Parents should be proud of their child's efforts irrespective of the result
- Sport is important to childrens self esteem