Position Vacant - Director of Coaching and Development *New Closing Date*
Contact: Andrew Fiedler (Club President) 4010 541 215 or email@example.com
Northern Galaxy Basketball Club Inc formed in 2008 with the merger of Warriors Basketball Club and Everton Districts Basketball Club. We are based on the Northside of Brisbane servicing an area from Spring Hill to Murrumba Downs and Ascot to Samford.
Our training venues include Wavell State High School, Kedron State High School and YMCA Bowen Hills. The club trains Tuesday through Thursday and Saturday mornings (Aussie Hoops) and games are played on Friday nights (U16-U18’s) and Saturdays (U10s-U14s).
In 2012 the club fielded 15 junior teams in the Brisbane Basketball Inc Championship season with six teams making finals and three taking out their respective divisions. The club commenced the Aussie Hoops program in July 2012 and has close to 60 registered participants. Individual Development sessions for club players were also conducted in 2012.
The club is reliant on volunteers to coach our junior players. We wish to provide our coaches, and potential coaches, with an opportunity to participate in development activities to increase their confidence in assuming and/or maintaining the role of coach.
Further, the club wants to put together a training and development program for junior players of all ages and skill levels to enable them to reach the level of success they aspire to.
- Develop a coaching program at a domestic level that leads into and supports the club’s, and association’s, objectives with a focus on development of player fundamental skills.
- Supervise and mentor all club coaches as required, setting in place base expectations for coaching quality, behaviour and skills development.
- Manage co-ordination of appropriate teams/coaches to train together as required and bring coaches together to discussion groups and skill building at least twice yearly.
- Assist in the tryout/grading season and implement the club’s player selection policy and processes as required.
- Consider what steps are required to ensure retention of both coaches and players so that the effort on skill development has a longer term pay off to both the individual and the club. Make recommendations to the club committee of management as required.
- Attend club Committee meetings and present at prize giving’s.
Skills and Capabilities required by the successful applicant include:
- Extensive basketball coaching or elite level playing experience
- Experience in implementing or capacity to implement goals
- Excellent facilitation, liaison and negotiation skills
- Passionate about developing skills of junior basketball players and their coaches
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong linkages with other basketball programs and current and former senior elite players
The club’s committee of management is prepared to negotiate a fixed fee with the successful applicant that will recognise the individual’s capabilities and the club’s financial resources.
Full position description can be found here
When applying for this position we encourage you to submit your statement of claims of no more than two pages including examples outlining your suitability for the role referring to key points under “Skills and Capabilities required” , which directly relate to “Your Key Responsibilities”.
All applications should be marked “confidential” and submitted via email to the President of Northern Galaxy Basketball Inc at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on Monday 11 February and all applicants will be notified via email whether they have been successful in their application.