Ballarat FNL honours Catherine Maika
The Red Onion Ballarat FNL is delighted to announce that we have honoured the enormous contribution of decorated Netballer Catherine Maika to the Ballarat FNL Netball competition by naming our annual goal shooting award “The Catherine Maika Trophy”.
Catherine announced at the end of the 2012 season that she had “most likely” played her last game of Netball in the Ballarat FNL, as she and her husband Dan have moved to Scotland for a 2 year employment contract, and recurring knee injuries have made it increasingly difficult for her to continue to train and play on a weekly basis.
Following Catherine’s announcement, the Ballarat FNL decided to honour her career by naming the perpetual goal shooting award in recognition of her extraordinary career, and to recognise her extraordinary contribution to the game of netball - particularly in the Ballarat FNL.
The highlights of her incredible career include –
- BFLNA U 18.5 premiership – Ballarat FNC (1998)
- 3 x BFLNA Senior premiership – Golden Point FNC (2000), Sebastopol FNC (2005 & 2006)
- 2 x CHFNL Senior premierships – Clunes FNC (2003 & 2004)
- CHFNL Senior netball B&F (2003)
- Clunes Sportswoman of the Year (2003)
- 14 time Ballarat FNL representative player
- 4 x BFLNA Leading Goal Shooter – (2006, 2008, 2010, 2011)
- 3 x over 1,000 goals in a season (2006, 2008, 2010)
- 3 x BFLNA Senior Best & Fairest (2006, 2008 & 2010)
- 7 x BFLNA Team of the Year (2005 – 2008, 2010 – 2012)
- Senior netball captain – East Point (2011 & 2012)
- East Point FNC Senior Best & Fairest (2010) Runner-up (2011)
- Sebastopol FNC Senior Best & Fairest (2005, 2006 & 2008)
- Senior and Under 18.5 Netball Coach – Sebastopol 2008
- 2 x Ballarat Netball Assoc Premier League Best & Fairest Awards
- VNL Ballarat Pride Championship player (2010)
- VNL Ballarat Pride player (2004 & 2006)
- VNL Ballarat Pride Premiers (2006)
- Played Premier League 1996 – 2011
- BNA Premier League premiers – Dela Jades (2002)
The Ballarat FNL wish Catherine and her husband Dan all the very best over the next 2 years in Scotland, and we do retain “some hope” that she may see fit to return to the Ballarat FNL Netball competition for one last season in 2015….!